The ‘Edit in Visual Studio’ feature in the Azure Portal allows you to edit files on the live site, without needing to deploy or publish your app. It also contains some really useful tools for when you need to troubleshoot or configure your web app, and only have access to a web browser.
Follow these steps to enable the feature:
- Log into https://manage.windowsazure.com/
- Select the Web App, and go to the ‘Configure’ tab
- Scroll down to the ‘EDIT IN VISUAL STUDIO’ setting and enable it
- Save the changes
Now you can go the DASHBOARD link of the Web App, and find the ‘Edit in Visual Studio Online’ option in the ‘Quick Glance’ section on the right.
Apart from being able to edit files directly on the live site, you can access the following tools:
- Git – for pushing and pulling to a local repository, or VSO
- Output Console – for reading debug messages as the site is running
- Console – a basic shell with some command line tools
The list of command line tools available in the console can be retrieved by typing “help”. Notable ones include the Node Package Manager (npm), Git, Powershell (ps) and msbuild, along with the usual file and directory manipulation tools.